Wednesday 27 June 2007

Oh, the irony

So, the big British political news this morning was the defection of a Tory MP to Labour.  As part of his resignation letter, Quentin Davis wrote



Under your leadership the Conservative party appears to me to have ceased collectively to believe in anything, or to stand for anything.

It has no bedrock. It exists on shifting sands. A sense of mission has been replaced by a PR agenda.

and


Although you have many positive qualities you have three, superficiality, unreliability and an apparent lack of any clear convictions, which in my view ought to exclude you from the position of
national leadership to which you aspire...

Is it just me, or is this, particularly the last part ironic on the day that Tony Blair resigned?  We were hearing exactly the same things about him 10 years ago.

When did Peter Mandelson defect in the other direction?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well it does seem rather odd.

I do hope that this Quentin is going to do the honourable thing and resign his seat. Though I won't hold my breathe.

I do so like the bit about bedrock and believing in things. I've been trying to work out what Labour has stood for (apart from lying, stealing & deception) since Bliar & Broon took over.

Good luck with the bloggy thingy Bob.

Dashit all, no Google account and so no identity.

Chris' Wills